Wednesday 10 June 2009

Journaling Junkie June Layout (Mother's Day)



I'm going through my Drafts & trying to get everything published before the end of the month, so here is my Journaling Junkie layout from May.

Our Spec:-

Our mothers have taught us so much...but then so have our children. This fortnight make a layout journaling the lessons taught you either by your mom or your children.


Here is my title:- KIDS - Gotta Luv 'em. I drew the letters K, I, D and S, in pencil first, then coloured them in, in stripes, using a black fineliner. I rubbed out the pencil lines but only about half an hour later, when the ink was dry, to avoid smudging. I cut out the pink heart from an offcut of patterned paper & adhered it to some black card then drew the striped design using a white fineliner, echoing the title but in reverse (white on black as opposed to black on white).The other letters are...guess what...you guessed it! American Craft Canvas Thickers - I glazed them with Glossy Accents to give them a bit of shine. The heart & gift box borders I bought at the Crazy Store (Dollar store) here - I used them on this layout to represent my love for my kids & how I consider them such a gift ;-D

My challenge (to myself) here was to make the unusual colour combination of the border stickers "work". I forced myself to create this layout using a colour combination I don't think I've ever used before. I printed these photos in black & white because I took them at night & they had that awful golden (flash) glow about them. I zoomed & cropped them as best I could & ended up with 5 photos in 3 different sizes so had to work around that. I basically just double matted each photo in a different & unusual way to the next - just to keep things interesting ;-D I attached 4 buttons to the mat above the journalling (it looks like there are only 3 because the 2nd one is dark brown & not showing up against the black cardstock). These represent my 4 children, which is why the first & the last are feminine & the middle two are masculine. I threaded them first then adhered them each with a glue dot.

I hand-journalled using my white fineliner pen (I say it like I have one but the truth is I have about 20 - tied up in a big bundle with an elastic band so they are easy to grab & go if I am cropping away from home - as these pens are temperamental & often don't work or give up & need a break - so the more the merrier...)

My Journalling reads:- "I've learnt so many lessons on my parenting journey, but, most importantly, that each person on this planet is an individual & should be nurtured to develop in their own way, rather than be moulded into someone else. I think that's the main lesson for successful parenting - don't dictate to your kids, rather stand back & observe - then hone in on the talents that every individual inherently possesses."

Below is the left-hand side of the double layout. Notice how I've intentionally made each black mat a different thickness & have positioned some of them right up against the edge of the paper for a change. The printed paper is from my favourite supplier...not! - Best Creations, & came as part of a kit (no, definitely not Cocoa Daisy) - hence, I no longer subscribe to this kit company - the paper says it all. It's too revolting I know, but I have to use every paper I own 'cos I don't waste & it kinda matched...I cut the paisley border into a strip & adhered it here & there (see below the right hand photo) so it wasn't quite so dull.

Below now it the right-hand side of my layout. I promise you there are 4 buttons in that row...the naughty brown one is just melting into the backgound.

I added a strip of black bazzill to the bottom of the premade border to make it "pop" then hand-journalled the date. And, no, it's not crooked...that's just the photo...I swear!!!


No comments: