Sunday 28 February 2010

He turned Twelve




Reilly that is...It's hard for me to comprehend really because he's so affectionate & loveable, nothing like Jack, who is also adorable but doesn't require affection from anyone, not even the cat!

Because South Africa is hosting the Fifa World Cup, and both my boys are football crazy, most of his gifts were World Cup/football related, although the shorts are "Sharks" {our local rugby team - yes I know they're not performing too well so far this season ;-(... }

He loves sweets so padding out his gifts with a few treats was easy...

He's the artist as far as the kids are concerned & keeps trying to nick the Staedler fineliners I use for journaling so I bought him his own! That other strange gadget is a Flash Drive. He's a computer geek too...

His sweetest gift came from our house helper...she always gives each child R20 {US$2.50} & makes a card.

I made him some party packs for his class-mates & added some printed "text-box-toppers" ala Becky Higgins lol...

Then I baked a cake...something not normally on my agenda but I do it for their birthdays *{wink}*

It didn't crack & it didn't flop...needless to say I was amazed...I even managed to get both layers sandwiched together without breaking them!

I even made Ganache icing using real chocolate melted in a double-boiler over boiling water on the stove!

Then I made a "mask" {stencil} of one of his silly nick-names "Rhino" - {I printed it then cut out the letters with my craft knife} then sprinkled golden sugar granules through it to form the word.

Added a bunch of candles {well, 12 to be exact...} & a plastic rhino Cami got in a Kinder Joy Egg {her weekly chocolate treat} and...

It was so worth it - his cute little face lit up & he was delighted!

Kids just LOVE having mum make a birthday cake with candles & having their loved-ones sing "Happy Birthday To You!" - the cake idea was really simple but he thought it was great & that's all that counts!!

Oh, & the fact that it was actually delicious too...





8 comments:

Jessy Christopher said...

I want a mummy like you too on birthdays... Lol!! You are so thoughtful of Reiley's fav things. I love everything you gave him. I am sure he likes them all :) your boy is growing up to be a handsome boy, in fact u have beautiful children!

Vicki said...

Happy Birthday Reilly - Aaron is very envious of your cake cos he has to decorate his own!!! LOL

Stefanie said...

I also had a birthday boy yesterday.
Delightful aren't they?

topkatnz said...

Happy Birthday Reilly - looks and sounds like you had a wonderful day!

Michelle Ramsay said...

Happy birthday Reilly. I know that it was really special and hope you enjoyed all the goodies your mom and dad gave you and made for you. Well done Helen, it is great to see the reaction of childrens' faces when they see what you have done for them - I just love it!!

tania said...

Happy birthday to your boy,Helen!! Love all the gifts and cake and all of it and how special from Mercy to make him a card.love your green background and new header{again}
so glad you resolved the kit situation, i trust people to quick{bad habit}

Ella Swan said...

Thanks everyone - he had a great day!!

Lynette Jacobs said...

Happy birthday to Reilly....

That cake looks delish!!!