Saturday 19 March 2011

A new colour combo {Courtesy of my crazy husband!} & a Home Decor Project {Perspex Frame}


Just sneaking in here quickly to get this up for today!  My husband bounced into my studio this morning (well, at 6ft5" it was more loping than bouncing but there was definitely a spring in his step!) & announced that HE was the new combo for Colour Combos Galore!  I told him if he didn't change into something even just VAGUELY co-ordinating I would photograph him & put him up on my blog!  Well he seemed quite excited at the thought of 5 minutes of fame so here he is!  And yes...he stayed in that atrocious outfit ALL day...

I spent part of today working on a couple of projects for a friend of mine, which she commissioned me to do for her daughter's birthday.

She bought a perspex frame from a local photography shop & gave me a few photos to put in & told me to "go for it!" 


I asked her to give me a title & some journaling & she did!  Pretty good for a non-scrapper don't you think?!
I really like how it turned out - simple & unfussy - and plan on making one for Jack, to go with his photo-cube, seeing as his room is kinda high-tech - the perspex is perfect for it.

I started by trimming down the photos as much as possible so that I could fit them in, together with the bare necessities - a title, journaling & a bit of embellishing.

I printed the journaling onto soft gloss photo paper, measured up first so that it would fit into the gaps around the photos & still give me a bit of space to "play" at the bottom, for the title, on top of a nice little cluster of embellies.

 Supplies:-

Dotty ribbon - American Crafts
Lace - Stash
Flowers - Prima & stash
Alphas - Basic Grey (Origins)
Bling (My Mind's eye - Fine & Dandy)
Pearls - Prima
Sweet sentiment & flower centre - stash
Journaling cards - Cocoa Daisy exclusives
Washi tape - Pink Paislee

Bear in mind that you can't add any dimensional embellishments under the perspex so your layout needs to be as flat as possible, but of course you can add a few embellies ON TOP of the perspex & some texture like the lace I've used, which protrudes from the side, giving this a girly touch.  

Happy Weekend Creative People!





12 comments:

Heather Jacob said...

well I can see your hubby is quite the character ... a cheeky glint in his eye ...LOL

love this work helen just so striking and full of love and joy .... gorgeous .. hugz x

Jasmine S said...

Well, I think DH looks great and is as good as any combo we have seen. Hehe.
Love your pressie. Just gorgeous.

Stefanie said...

6'5 is tall!
Love that colour combo too and think you could spin it.
I don't know anyone who is as good with the colour challenges as you.

Bente Fagerberg said...

I agree that you are wonderful at the challenges my friend!! And your husband has a great sense of humour! Give him a hug. Maybe he feels a little like a scrap widower at times... I know mine does!
I really really like what you did under that frame. I have tried that and it is darn difficult. Yours look great with those embellies added over the top!Way to go!!

Ella Swan said...

Thanks girls! Yup hubby is a scream - shame - these poor men - they really are a special variety that allow us to indulge time and money into this all-consuming hobby of ours!! I guess he knew he would grab my attention if he announced himself as a new colour combo LOL!! Don't know why Stef, but I just thought that by now I would have mentioned how tall he was - he sure is a giraffe! In fact I call him that because he has a long neck too & is always sticking it around the corner here to see what is on my screen! I don't know what sites he thinks I'm surfing LOL! Bente you're right - these things look so easy but the truth is they are not - and people who don't scrapbook just think "anything is possible" but it takes a fair amount of thought & fiddling to get it all to work nicely & look professional doesn't it?!

scrapbookertink said...

LOL I hope he stayed indoors with that colour combo! Love the layout for your friend's daughter I'm sure she will be over the moon with it as it is gorgeous.

Marilyn said...

Hey, Dear friend, your DH has a great sense of humor, I tried to figure out how I can use this color combo on a page but I can't, LOL!!! He is very tall 6'5, my DH is 6'2 and I'm petite 5'3 my kid is 6'2, too and my girl 5'6 like you see I'm the little one here, LOL!!! I love how you did the frame, Very Lovely!! I'm with Bente this thing looks easy but aren't, so you did a Beautiful work here. This project will be very difficult to me I love dimension and layers in my projects. Well my friend , give to your DH my regards. Take Care! A Big Hug!!

Ella Swan said...

Oh yes hubs went to the mall in that outfit & claims he was complimented!!! Now that I doubt - but yes - he sure keeps a smile on my face - funny guy! Marilyn we have sooooooooooo much in common - I am definitely going to end up the shortess in my family too - I am 5ft6 & so far my eldest son & daughter have both overtaken me :)

Pearl said...

awww ! he sure is a sweetie with that new color combo challenge & all ! Lovely how the perspex frame turned out ! A cherished gift it will surely be !

Lynette Jacobs said...

I love the perspex frame...so pretty.

Your husband is a real sport:-)

Sabrina Scrapbook said...

Hahahaha Helen!! I can see that you are very lucky to have your hubby as he is SO cool amd understanding about our color combo and I am sure he is quite aware of other scrapping stuff that you do?

Oh Helen, I honestly think that you have done so well with the frame!! I am sure your friend and her DD will love it because I do!! I heart that pretty blue lace!! :)))

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

LOL, you cracked me up with this post!
Love that project you make for your friend, sure is beautiful!