Sunday 5 June 2011

My Beautiful Girl, a Weekend in Durbs & a Couple of Cards!






I hope you all had a good weekend!  For us here it was very busy.  My daughter was in a singing &dancing show all weekend - four shows - so the poor girl is already fast asleep & I am ready to join her!  She had a wonderful time singing & dancing her heart out & soon I will have more photos/layouts of her all kitted up & strutting her stuff on the stage - too sweet to watch!  Being a stage mum is exhausting though, I have been driving her back & forth - up & down - to rehearsals 2 or 3 times a week, sewing costumes & playing hair & make-up artist!


Seeing as it's the weekend I thought I would share some of the photos I took of her in our garden before we left this morning.  I'm sure they will make it onto a page soon - in fact I even have the page already planned out in my mind :)


She is going to be eleven soon, so she is growing up, but she is still  a very tiny little girl, often fitting into 5 - 6 year clothes!  She eats like a horse though, as long as it is food that she likes...roast chicken with skin, fries, crisps, pizza, chocolate milk, popcorn, ice-cream, strawberry milkshakes, rusks...hmmm...not exactly a low-fat diet for a dancer, but Thank Goodness at the moment she can get away with that delicious diet!


She gets teased at school for those gorgeous rosy apple cheekbones, but I have told her that all supermodels have them so that makes her giggle!!  She is happiest when she is belting out a tune in front of an audience & shaking her little self around a stage - it warmed our hearts to watch her this weekend, we were so proud!  Even her older brothers were impressed with her "Better than I thought she would be" was one of the audible mumbles...I know that they were secretly very proud of their little sister being so brave & doing so well :)


You see what I mean?  She is such a little half-pint, but she sure has ATTITUDE!  Her best friend came with us to the shows (and my best friend too...) so she feels completely elated, overjoyed and EXHAUSTED right now, after a weekend where all the attention was on her!  As the youngest of 4 often she has to keep herself happy & she is very undemanding & loves lying in front of the TV "couch-potatoeing" so she deserved her little spot in the limelight occasionally.  It's only once every 6 months that her academy puts on a show but the preparation takes months so no sooner is one over than we all start planning the next!


This little man was at her best friend's gate when I dropped her home today - luckily I had my camera at my feet in the car - a kairos moment!  We also came across a little family just like this, but as I was about to take my photo a @#$%Q^*  silly runner came jogging past & that was the end of that - they scooted back into the bush - opportunity lost!  It was clearly "wild-life day out" today & I live in a very built-up area!!


And this was the view from my kitchen window today - I counted 8 yachts all in all - and a speedboat (which my son thought was a whale...pfffft...) plus the usual selection of cargo ships & container carriers...I took this photo off Google as mine came out with 8 little white specks that looked rather insignificant!  Our view just goes on SEEMINGLY FOREVER...no land anywhere to be seen, just a horizon far, far away...it is honestly one of the most calming influences in my life & in the 6 years  I have lived by the sea I have never tired of it.


We have been coming home between shows for a bite to eat & to get the house tidied up, and have been flopping down on the couch in front of the TV to eat our meals while watching these two adorable gentlemen!  Roger Federa (who is half South African - having a mother originating from Durban!) & Rafael Nadal competing at the French Open - Roland Garros 2011.


 It's the hunky Spaniard who gets my heart racing though & it's not hard to see why - just look at Mr. Armani - need I say more?!?  Hot, hot, hot!!  Aaaaanyway...back to the more temperate subject of scrapbooking...


And I did promise to show you the cards I made...I made this one for the challenge over at Reasonable Ribbon here - the challenge was to make a pink & brown card using some lace or ribbon so I used my left over vintage-inspired tulle from Webster's.


I was inspired by the challenge over here at Card Patterns (no. 117) but see I have missed the deadline of Friday to post it...oh well...it has been a crazy time with my daughter's dance show & dress rehearsals going on all day for 3 days solid.  Will have to be more switched on next time...grrr...


I used Echo Park "For the Record" here & my daughter asked me if it was a Christmas card...so there you go...need I say more?  Okay well I will say a bit more LOL...it's not SUPPOSED to be a Christmas card but if you want it to be then why not?!  I guess that as soon as you put red & green together everyone makes the same assumption huh?!


I know you may all be a bit shocked seeing cards here & as Bente said, do I have a fever??? :) :) :) You know, I don't have a fever as such...but I do actually NEED some cards...I have been told off several times by friends for actually PURCHASING cards to give them for birthdays, etc, and when you think about it that is rather a disgrace, so I decided that to make a couple of cards every now & again really isn't going to kill me, and, guess what?!  I actually enjoyed it!  It was a quick creative fix on a Friday morning when I have only a short patch of Studio time before a very busy day starts so I have assigned Fridays as "card day" from now on...let's hope it lasts hey?!

27 comments:

Yolande (pronounced you-land-a) said...

Firstly, your daughter is absolutely gorgeous, so she definitely deserves to be in the spotlight.. :) Aah, they make us so incredibly proud indeed! Oh, what a stunning view...and I don't just mean the gorgeous Armani guy, the ocean is nice too...hehehehe. Both your cards are fabulous..really pretty and you should definitely keep making them. I make all my cards, because I just love the look of pure joy on my loved ones faces..mmm, may want to start posting pics of those sometime. Anyways...it seems you have been one busy lady!! Have a fantastic week ahead...take care.

Rachael Funnell said...

Yes! Your girl is beautiful.... some other gr8 photos too! wink wink! LOL!
Both cards are FAB Helen! Enjoy your week......

dstandard said...

Gorgeous pictures of your daughter - as a dance mother for 15 years (my daughter is out in LA dancing now after finishing college) I miss those days - enjoy! Fabulous pictures and if that's your view - wow!!! I would love to live by the sea but can't convince my dh to move there and it would be too far from family. snif!

Kerryn said...

LOL there's a bit of everything in this post isn't there! Something for everyone ;).

I bet those photos of your girl will make for a stunning layout!!! Your card is pretty fab too!

Unknown said...

WOW you daughter is just soooo GORGEOUS and love all your other photos too :)) And I am the same with cards...need to force myself to make some...yours are totally GORGEOUS!!! :))xx

yyam said...

Your cards are awesome! Make more!

Your girl's really pretty! And I love the pictures you shared...:)

Unknown said...

What an adorable little girl you have, she is beautful. I can see you scrapping her in your mind, LOL. Love those creatures and the not so furry ones;) and your cards are just awesome!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Your daughter is GORGEOUS!! And Brookie is just the opposite for size wise... she is 4 and wears size 8 clothes! lol!! I loveeeeeeee all the photos and your cards are GORGEOUS! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Cathy said...

Your daughter is so gorgeous Helen, Brittany used to be just like her size wise!! Loving all your photos and your cards are fantastic! Have a fab week :)))

Rene Sharp said...

Your daughter is a doll, and OMG she is tiny. My son turned 12 just last week and he is a giant compared to her. Nice that you are making some cards, I have been making quite a few, check out my blog :)

topkatnz said...

Love this newsy post. Sounds like you've had a fab weekend with Cami! LOL over the card making!

Stefanie said...

A different post from you, but a blast nontheless. I don;t share your tennis admiration, but that's cool. Your DD is sweet and growing up beautifully. I know that I need to make cards too, they don't fill any deep need I have, but my friends feel the need for home made cards too.

Lynette Jacobs said...

Your daughter is gorgeous...and I am sure we will see these photos on a layout soon.

Pearl said...

Gorgeous pics indeed ! Her eyes are just sparkling !!! Kudos for getting some cards done inspite of everything ! lol

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

That is a wonderful post, lots to see here, first of all, that girl is a darling, she is just beautiful! Next, I love those photos of the creature as well, so funny! and to your lovely card, I think you should do more, it is totally gorgeous!!!

Diana said...

Your photos are so sharp and clear! I aspire to that...

Alison said...

Lovely to hear about your weekend Helen...you,rightly,sound so proud of your daughter and she is a real sweetie!
Alison xx

Unknown said...

Your daughter is absolutely beautiful! Just like Mom!!Thanks for sharing. I love Mr. Armani too..But of course, I am here to let you know how much I love your Amazing page at BITW..Lovely family you've got! Love the cards as well..Hugs,
Marivic

Sabrina Scrapbook said...

Wohoo Helen!! I LOVE reading your post! I certainly enjoyed reading your posts, but firstly, thanks a lot for the photo-shooting tips! Appreciate that SO much!! I always adore your high-quality pics at your blog, thank you so much for sharing with us about your darling youngest daughter. Wow, she sure gonna rock the stage! ;) And oh wow, cards from Helen? They are gorgeous!! Loving both stunning cards, Helen!! Seriously :)

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Love the photos here! The ones of your daughter are stunning! Love your cards too! Fabulous!

sandi said...

Your daughter looks wonderful! Tha's a lot of dancing! Wonderful pics to look at and those cards are fab!

Eila Sandberg said...

You are a riot Helen! had to re-read your post, especially when I came down to the bit with the sizzling Spaniard! *nudge, nudge, say no more* I TOTALLY agree ;))))) Absolutely love your photos, they are the stuff I only see on TV and can dream of - so exotic and so amazing! fancy how water can look so different but still be food for imagination and fantasy wherever it's found. I have to live by water or else I'd shrivel and die. Oh she IS but a snippet your daughter, but those cheekbones, her eyes and mouth will take her far! cudos to you for all your support, it will pay off big time. xoxoxxo

Kiki Aposeki said...

Your daughter is like an angel!!! BEAUTIFUL... your card is gorgeous!!!!

Sharm Nidyanandan said...

Your DD is beautiful Helen!!! Can't wait to c ur page on her dance show! I'm sure it went amazing!! :) and your cards...goodness they are soooo pretty!!!! love the colours and simple embellies!!tfs!!! :)

Jeanne Streiff said...

What a cutie your daughter is! Thanks for playing the Really Reasonable Ribbon challenge!

Crystal said...

FABULOUS Pictures!!!!!! Such a beautiful card too, thanks so much for joining us at Really Reasonable Ribbon!

Connie M. said...

Love your card, and oh my, your DD is so pretty!! Thanks so much for playing this week in the Really Reasonable Ribbon Challenge!

Connie
RRRDT