Monday 14 May 2012

The Last Instalment of my Studio Tour!






Hello there!
Time to wrap up my STUDIO TOUR series!


These drawers are a mess and need a good sort out.
Next to them you can see my tripod and spare desk light. 
{which I use when I have to take night photographs of my
layouts - a last resort but it has been known to happen}.


The area above the double cupboards (as you walk into 
my studio on the right-hand side).  We have now come
full circle around my small, rectangular room.  Not great 
as you can see.  Reason being that it's not easy for me to
get up here to tidy this space up.  Various bits up there,
mainly photo albums, picture frames that are too big to
fit inside cupboards, postal boxes I use for sending out
RAKS, my smaller shoulder tote & my aircon to the left.


I have to keep the area in front of the aircon 
unobscured -  I have my aircon on almost 
constantly, even now it's on 24 degrees as I type
 LOL.  Our climate is really hot and humid here.


Isn't that pretty?
I found these decals really cheaply at our local CNA
{stationers} and bought 2 packs to create this effect.

I'm really considering removing these doors altogether
& only returning them when we eventually sell our home.

I think open shelves and baskets would work better
for me in this small space.


A view from a bit further back in the room so you can see
 how everything fits together.  I wish I had some nice WRMK
 pink mats instead of my dark green ones - they are on my wish
 list but as you can imagine - they are LARGE to ship so I'm 
hoping I can find a supplier in the UK so hubby can bring them
home to me - lining his suitcase - yup, he loves me THAT much...


Here's a view from the other side.  Yup there is only about
 2.5 feet between my 2 counters - not even enough space for
 2 people but I don't mind as my studio is right next to the
 dining-room, where my kids do their homework so I don't feel
 left out at all & I like zoning out a little with my media player :) 


I'm planning on getting a pigeon-holing system custom-made
to fit up on top of my cupboards to look nicer & more uniform
as I've given up finding anything more suitable than that ugly thing!


My laptop bag that my gorgeous friend Mitra  shipped to me
from the States as the Amazon seller wouldn't send it here. I
am always transferring information between my laptop and my
computer.  I've attached a couple of little bags that hold my
headphones, BlackBerry to pc cords, etc, all in their own bags.


Next to the door and my computer - I've managed to
squash in another metal wheelie rack.  How cute is my
bin?  It's really tiny, which is rather impractical, but I 
don't have space for a bigger one and it is a miniature 
version of a real garbage can - {{{love!!!}}}.

On the top shelf I have a couple of "dumping" baskets
that are the equivalent of my "intrays" where I put
things that need to be put away, etc...

2nd shelf - kids school books that I constantly sort
through and tear out funny stories, etc, to keep for
their "special boxes" full of all their memorabilia.

3rd shelf - CD player & disks for when the sound on
my pc was inexplicably broken for months
(fixed now fortunately).

Bottom Shelf - various different sizes of envelopes
from overseas parcels that I've received over the years
- to give me an indication of what postage costs I can
expect to pay when I am buying online.


A view down my "computer side" from my door.


Another view of the central area.


My pretty "back cushion" from Woolworths,
love that it matches my space so well!


My computer space.  I love my Samsung monitor.
Everything is crystal clear on it.  Would love a Mac
Screen but here they are outrageously priced.  I do
have a little Mac keyboard.  I couldn't revert back now!

Behind my computer I have some framed whiteboards
that are forever falling off the wall despite using 
"No More Nails" tape - I think its' going to have to be
NAILS soon LOL.  I have an external hard-drive that
I back all my photo files onto regularly.  Can't sleep at
night otherwise.  

So there you have it.  
You can see my other studio tours here.

When I eventually make the changes I have in mind to
improve my space further I will do an UPDATED tour.

I have 3 double built-in cupboards and twenty-two
drawers that are STILL UNSEEN !! and I will do
a tour of those too - when I have the time!

I hope you have enjoyed taking a peek into my space.

I know it's not perfect but I've done the best I can to
make it as attractive as possible, although my first 
consideration has been the practicality of it all.  

If you take a look HERE you can see how my studio
looked before I had my units fitted and how it looked
just over a year ago when I first moved in to it.  It only
measures 2.5m x 4.5m so I am pretty stoked over
how much I have managed to fit in to such a tiny space!




21 comments:

Lizzy Hill said...

AMAZING space...feel like I've visited in person:):) I LOVE those decals you got but have to agree, no doors would soooo much easier...you'd have to put them somewhere else, tho!!!! It's a seriously busy room...must go get into mine. I cleaned it yesterday. Miracle:):)

topkatnz said...

I agree that open shelves and baskets are the best way to go - however, you have made those doors darned pretty...

Leonie said...

You are soooo organised!
Love the way you've organised your space.
And those decals on the cupboard doors...adorable!
Cheers.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I love love love your space!!! That decor on the cabinet is GORGEOUS!!!!!

Michelle said...

FAbulous space, Helen! Yes, open shelves and baskets are the way to go. You have done well with your room. I need to finish mine. It needs some straightening.

Sabrina Scrapbook said...

Awesome post, Helen!! White cabinets rock! I love the room, neat and tidy :) And I also love your Samsung monitor, so classy! Am off to check out tour one & two ;)

Lynnda said...

Love both your Studio... Very neat and organised...and very white...which is my favorite... TFS...hugs..xoxo

Desire Fourie said...

So organised you are. Love the cupboard decoration - so cheerful.
Hugs
Desíre
DS4J DT Member
Doing Life

Chantal Vandenberg said...

I've so enjoyed the "tour"! Your space is fantastic, Helen!!!

Unknown said...

You have an amazing studio space Helen...lucky you! just been flicking through you work and so many gorgeous layouts!! You are incredible...!! I know I haven't been here for a while but I do keep coming back but have been unable to comment until now! So excited I can now get back to commenting! Hope you are well, take care :))x

Evgenia Petzer said...

LOVE it! may be one day will see it in real life%)

thos birds are so cute, never saw smth lime this at CNA

yyam said...

Wow! I think you've managed pretty well in such a small space. And you are very organized. :)

Jenny in Durbs said...

Wow you are organised. Helen Kylie has pink mats in her shop - they are gorgeous. Love the cupboard doors.

Denise van Deventer said...

Looks awesome Helen...always good to have one's own space to create and be able to leave a mess if you need to!!! ;-)
Thanks for your kind comments on my blog...really appreciated!

sandi said...

Wow! Fabulous! Did you ever think you would have such a collection when you first started to scrap! It's amazing how everything just grows!!!! :)

phamil said...

AWESOME space, and those doors, I love those decals!!!! I like the idea of baskets too, I am also contemplating taking the doors off my cabinets and using them. Your space looks to be very similar to the size of mine! I love the airy feel of yours, mine is black.

Kim Dellow said...

Totally wonderful creative space! Kim

Keren Tamir said...

totally awesome!! I LOVE IT!! I really think you should come in the summer and take Anna's class with me and then give me tips on organizing my studio lol

FiKenward said...

Besides everything looking super organised I love the transfer on your cupboards and the ruffle cushion, the perfect touch of femininity to your room. Again thanks for sharing.

Eila Sandberg said...

:) Even if you say your studio is small, it's twice as big as my itty nook! having no wall space really sucks! so love checking out all the bins and racks and wonderful order you have. The door decals are really so prett Thanks for the tour! xoxo

Marjie Kemper said...

You are super organized! I'm so impressed. Everytime I clean up I promise myself I'm going to keep a 'put away' basket and once it's full... actually (imagine this!)... empty it!!! I'll try to take your good example to heart now. Also... love tip about the little bags for wires, cords, etc. Great idea... TFS!