Tuesday 22 May 2012

Our Springtime Layout {Published in the April Issue of Scrap Street Magazine} using Pretty Party by Crate Paper





You can find this layout in the Spring 2012 issue 
of  Scrap Street on page 15 - HERE is the link. 

 I used Crate Paper Pretty Party as I think it's 
practically the freshest Spring themed collection
 I can think of that's out right now!



Using all the papers from the same collection meant that
it was quick and easy to put together!



I started by cutting a frame out of the woodgrain paper.
In the photo above I have flicked the woodgrain paper
over in the centre to show you the other side.  

THIS is the reason why I won't use a rotary trimmer! 
 With a trimmer with a point you can cut out a frame
 EXACTLY and have both pieces intact for use
 afterwards - the frame and the inner square.



I started out by cutting down the checked paper by 1cm,
inking it with pink, then stitching down the edge and catching
the extra threads with my stapler to create a casual flourish.

I then layered on the gesso and pastel coloured paints using
my old credit card, blobbing it directly onto the background
 then pulling it across in both directions.



I adhered a pretty doily over most of my hard work 
so that just the edges of the painting were showing
then I layered up over and on top of it.



The theme was Spring so I created a Spring-themed 
layout especially.  Definitely helps if you are trying to 
get published, I've just never had the time before to 
make especially for the call.



I used white alphas which I inked with purple first so
 that they would have more KAPOW factor :)


I hand-journaled directly onto the printed paper,
which is most unusual for me as I don't like to do
that as it is sometimes not clear, (I do it alot but
onto plain cardstock usually) but because of the
mild check and the strong black ink it worked out fine.  

How gorgeous are those Prima blooms?  
Had to use the entire pack on this layout - couldn't resist!






23 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Absolutely beautiful. Love everything about it and a great tutorial on it.
Hugs
Desíre
DS4J DT Member
Doing Life

Tracee said...

Love watching your process and these papers are very springy they go perfectly with your adorable family pics. Congrats on the pub! Tx

topkatnz said...

I LOVE seeing you in a photo with the kids:)

Rachael Funnell said...

Another FANTASTIC tutorial Helen....
your layout is spectacular lovin that background & I know I've said it before!! BUT! couldn't resist to say it again!! TOTALLY love your handwriting.... ♥

Lizzy Hill said...

Thankyou, thankyou for the little tutorial....it makes sense of the finished page, I think....LOVE how you've used a 'strong' bg & still manage to make it look not overly busy. LOVE the hand journaling...always looks so nice n personal:):)

Sharm Nidyanandan said...

Congratulations on being Published Helen dear! The layout is awesome! Tfs the step step guide :) n ur coming to Malaysis end of the yr?! That's super awesome!! Yes we must surely meet up! Looking fwd to seeing u in person my friend! :)

Jasmine S said...

Awesome work and congrats on the publication. It sounds like a fabulous place to relax. And very jealous you are in Spring with Summer around the corner.

Mitralee said...

DUDE! That is most awesome! I LOVE the paper and the blooms you used. Glad you told me they were prima, I need get my hands on some. And secondly, I love how big a write up they give you and put your name big and bold! You deserve to be noticed my friend for all of your hard work!

sandi said...

Oh Helen this just just so pretty! Love the painted background and your title just 'pops'. Those flowers are the perfect touch!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is GORGEOUS!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeee that background, the photos and love love love those flowers!!!

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

You make everything seem so simple, Helen! Thanks for the step-by-step. Much appreciated.

Unknown said...

Yay, congrats Helen!! I especially love what you've done with the gesso/pastels- great step-by-steps- I know people who don't use these types of mediums really appreciate seeing how it's done!
You've done an amazing job :)!
xErin

Bellaidea said...

Congratulations my friend! Well deserved and like the photos on this LO! Great work too!

Evgenia Petzer said...

Very nice job! love that background and gorgeous flowers.

and can't wait for tomorrow, patience is not my strongest point)

Svjetlana said...

Gorgeous LO, thanks for the tutorial, I always admire your layering and use of paint and other messy stuff.

Marelize said...

Your work amazes me every time Helen! I adore your background work. Thanks for sharing your techniques. xx

phamil said...

Love seeing this!!! What a gorgeous technique!!! Thanks for sharing! Just Beautiful!!!

Lynnda said...

wow wow wow... another stunning layout my dear friend.. I totally loving this one... my fave!! hugs..xoxo

FiKenward said...

Congrats on your publication Helen!!! You've created such a beautiful background here love the soft palette of pretty colours. Great journalling as well, your handwriting always looks amazing unlike mine that looks a bit scruffy, lol. Beautiful page and Its great to see you on one of the layouts.

Denise Price said...

Congrats on having this published! It's definitely springy and gorgeous.

Alison said...

Love the way you build up your backgrounds Helen..wish I had the patience to do it!
Alison xx

Juanna Hope Sia said...

Stunning piece of work! Thanks for sharing! (:

Eila Sandberg said...

Yay! congrats on the pub! this is such a beautiful fresh and vibrant page! just love your "blobs" tee hee! ;)) xxxx