Wednesday 15 May 2013

'You at 11' Layout - My Creative Scrapbook May Limited Edition Kit - Prima Lyric - Studio Calico Mists & Masks (Plus Misting Tips & Fussy-Cutting Recommendations!)







Hello again :)  Back with my first layout for My Creative Scrapbook this month (see yesterday's post for all details & links).  I recoloured & textured this background paper using Studio Calico mists (Mister Huey's) & one of their masks, together with stamps from the kit (the butterflies & the scroll edge design) as well as some black splats of Maya Road charcoal mist.


If you're like me & don't like wastage then 
turn your mask over once you have finished misting through
 it & use the back side (now full of mist) as a STAMP.  

It adds a funky 'messy' effect & ensures every drop 
of that precious mist ends up on your page.


I fussy cut the frame-work for these photos out of a sheet of Prima 
 patterned paper & overlaid it on top of my mixed media background.


You can't go wrong with fussy-cutting & it goes a long way towards a polished looking layout.  You NEED these tools if you want to do a professional looking job!
Neither of these items come cheap but both are great value for money as you will never throw them out when destashing like you will with paper & embellishments - these will serve you for life.

When fussy-cutting you may get to a point on the paper where there is no definable edge to the design, as below.  In this case make up your own design as I did with the pennant banner design.


No need to cut perfectly around every tiny element - sometimes you 
can get away with cutting more generally around the design.


Remember to check your Prima packaging before tossing it.  See that 
doily behind my photos?  Fussy-cut from  the Lyric packaging!


Adhering flowers is often tricky & glue can be messy so I use 3D
 glue-dots, glubers or hot glue (the most economical option).


I also used the words 'Delightful' & 'Smile" from
 the Prima packaging as part of my title.  

Waste not want not :)



17 comments:

Cindy Keogh said...

Gorgeous Helen! I love your repourposing packaging. :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

You are amazing!! I loveeeeeeeeeeee the butterflies!!

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

Waste not, want out...may that be my mantra this month ;)
Gorgeous techniques, Helen! I agree that tools can be the best investment ever.

Mona Pendleton said...

Wow Helen! What a beautiful layout and photo! Lovin' all the pretty blossoms and misted background!

Lizzy Hill said...

Great tips, Helen - you have a lot of patience with all that fussy cutting....looks wonderful, though, so well worth the while. LOVE your 'messy' masking on the bg....I thought it was the paper to start with!

Adriana B said...

great ideas and tips, love your layout, love the backgrounds :)

Keren Tamir said...

Loved seeing close ups of this LO. It turned out so lovely!!!

Lynnda said...

I want say it again!.... You are amazing Helen!... this layout is so beautiful..... hugs...x

Elaine coustley said...

Absolutely Fabulous work on this layout. Love it x

Val-Belle said...

Gorgeous layout and I love the fussy cutting. Love the misting on the background page too. Just lovely.

Denise Price said...

I love those scissors too, although the pair I own does not say Tim Holtz on it. :). Guess Archivers just carries the plain style.

I like your butterfly stamping and the way you turned your page pink.

yyam said...

Just beautiful. I love the incredible background work! :)

P/s: I love my Tim Holtz scissors but I use it for everything else except fussy cutting because I don't like the serrated edge..for that I use a Cutter Bee scissors. Good tools are well worth the initial investment!

Denise van Deventer said...

Beautiful page, beautiful girl, just beautiful work all round! ;-)

Marjie Kemper said...

Super LO! Love how the butterflies are traveling across the page and what precious pics of your girl.

Marilyn said...

Loove how you changed this paper with the misting and the stamp..awesome page!!! xo

Sandie said...

Amazing background, really looks so awesome, and the texture... had to go take another peek .. inspirational Helen!
I just purchased this knife should arrive tomorrow.. am hoping it won't rust like my others have ... fingers crossed. The joys of living right in front of the ocean...

sandi said...

Wow! Helen this is breathtakingly gorgeous! The background looks perfect here! Wow!