Monday 13 May 2013

'Zambia' Layout {May Guest Designer at Get Creative Challenge Blog in Greece!} Plus my Inking Recommendations





Hello there beautiful friends! 
 I hope you had a wonderful weekend & all you mummies had a special 
Mother's Day.  I got my present early on Friday & was treated to a 
day off work, a hot stone full body massage, facial, pedicure 
& manicure - lush it was!  I'm now the proud owner of trendy aqua
 Essie nails & glittery toe nails! Long may the well groomed look last LOL ;-D


Last month I was a winner at Get Creative!  Wooooot!!  
Get Creative is a lovely challenge blog run by my Greek friend 
Irini Liolia, who I met when we were inaugural designers at 
Once Upon a Sketch. She runs the show there & it's a constant source of inspiration.


You can see my Guest Designer post HERE & my Winner's post HERE.  
Their current challenge is quite simply to use FLOWERS on your
 layout. Well you don't have to ask me twice!! :-D


As this layout was due in to Irini at the end of last month I managed to use the Prima BAP sketch for it & e mail my layout in to Prima before the end of the month BAP deadline.


I used Prima patterned paper for my base, {Firefly Collection - Magique} plus tons of Prima flowers of all shapes & sizes, Prima nests, as well as some die-cut & bought leaves.


I worked up the background with  a couple of Crafter's Workshop stencils, Golden modeling paste & various mists, together with stamps from Kaisercraft & some archival inks.


Mixed media is not as difficult as it looks as messy is fine with it so no problem if things aren't perfect.  A great way to begin is to ink heavily around the edge of your page.  


I highly recommend the Ingvild Bolme {for Prima} inks for this
 (I used Knotted Wood) as they are fantastic & I have NEVER had the 
sponge separate from the base, which happens often with my Color Box
 cat's eye inks, plus they are easy to grip & the ink lasts for months.


For stamping though you need more than cat's eye/chalk inks.  
You need large archival ink pads.  Mine are from Tsukineko {Brilliance & Versa Magic}. 


 You need various sizes of acrylic stamping blocks although Ferrero Rocher boxes & lids & perspex ipod packaging work equally well :)

I added in some locally bought skeleton leaves & always utilise the stems that come on the 'bud' type flowers (I usually cut the buds off the stems before adhering the buds to my layout) then I twist the stems around my paper piercer, fold them each in half then adhere them under my flower clusters using my hot glue gun. 


For big flower clusters a hot glue gun is essential as it will hold 
everything down the absolute best & is also the cheapest form
of adhesive.  Mine is a very inexpensive, small, old Stanley gun
 & does a magificent job!



21 comments:

yyam said...

Love the beautiful background you've created...truly one of a kind. And you sure know how to work those blooms...something I need help with...lol

P/s: I love my hot glue gun too!

Lynnda said...

WOW Helen... this layout is absolutely STUNNING!... loving those blooms and the colors....

Oh yes... hot glue gun works wonders!!!

have a great week ahead... hugs...x

Desire Fourie said...

Huge congrats on your well deserved win. Love the cute little bird's nest. So pleased to hear you had a wonderful MD celebration.
Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

Thanks for the tips, Helen! Glad you managed to get your FAB page in time for Prima BAP.

Adriana B said...

congrats, your page is fab u lous , awesome :)

Lizzy Hill said...

FABULOUS, Helen....those flowers are simply YUM & gotta love the eggs!!!! Really nice bg work, as always, too:):):) COngrats on being featured over there, & your win!!!!

Tracey said...

WOW stunning Helen!! You have such an amazing style!!

Lizzyc said...

This looks absolutely amazing, I love the close ups of all the wonderful details.. beautiful layout.. well done on your win too!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Mama's Day!! YAY!! I love love love love your lo!! GORGEOUS colors and loving the flowers and the birds nest!!!

sandi said...

Congrats Helen!
Wow! What a stunning lo!

Marelize said...

Congratulations Helen! This layout is just stunning! I absolutely adore the colours and all those beautiful flowers and gorgeous texture! xx

Unknown said...

Beautiful layout Helen, love the colour combo in this page.

Ava Gavloski said...

perfecto helen

Val-Belle said...

Stunning layout. Love your work Helen. So fresh and lively....

Leonie said...

Congrats Helen and what a super layout! Loving all the texture and stamping that's going on on your base!
Aqua nails! Love it bet they look awesome!

Sandi Clarkson said...

Love the background work, Helen. And congrats on your GDT spot! Your day of luxury sounds fab!

Sandi Clarkson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Another stunnning layout, Helen, I LOVE the colors here, fantastic!!

Keren Tamir said...

So so beautiful. Love the combo of colors and love yoir flower arrangement. Beautiful LO.

Marjie Kemper said...

You're the Queen of Texture! Love this LO with all its fine details... that nest is the sweetest little embellie and it goes perfectly with all the flowers. Great photos, too!!!

Sandie said...

Helen this is so eye-catching, the flower arrangement is beyond words (I love it so much) .... such a wonderful inspiration.... xx