Sunday 25 August 2013

Life is a Journey {The Great Adventure!} Treasure Box for Scrapmatts




Hello there.  Sunday afternoon here & I am waiting for stuff to dry so decided to  pop in here & share this box I altered recently for one of my August assignments for Scrapmatts chipboard.


The box started off plain cream & is wooden with brass fixtures.  I bought it for hubby to store all the precious things the kids give him - birthday cards, little notes & the like.  


The spec we were given was "Father's Day" which I gather is at a different time of the year in Australia than here in South Africa. 

 I started by covering the sides of the box with 7 Dots Papers from the 9th Wave Collection I won.  BEAUTIFUL papers by Finnabair - I actually kinda winced cutting them up - but it had to be done :)


I added mesh tape to the sides of the lid first then tore the paper & inked the edges with 'Knotted Wood' from Ingvild Bolme for Prima, overlaying that on top of the tape.  For the base section at the sides I adhered the paper first then added the mesh tape on top.  


I printed the photo in the centre of an A4 sheet of photo paper then cut it down to fit the top of the lid exactly.  I then collaged all around it with the 9th Wave papers & die-cut pieces, plus scraps of mesh tape.  I inked the top edge with navy & brown inks & the sides with Olive Green.  I sealed the sides with modge podge.

The colours of the 9th Wave Collection work perfectly for masculine projects.  My Scrapmatts blog post is up on the site & the chipboard I used is available here.  They have a HUGE selection of very reasonably priced chipboard for ALL styles & projects, directly from their own online store where they send out to anywhere in the world at actual postage costs.  

There are monthly competitions plus a gallery where you can upload your work using SCRAPMATTS.   

I used a Range Paint Dabber in GOLD to paint my chipboard.  SO easy & if you use your heat gun to dry it off you get a lovely texture too!  The lovely chipboard quote sentiments also come from Scrapmatts & I used them because this photo was taken on our recent overseas holiday so they were appropriate.

Supplies List - 'Life is a Journey{The Great Adventure}Treasure Box

Patterned Papers - 7 Dots (9th Wave Collection)
Mesh tape
Modge Podge - Heritage
Inks - Ingvild Bolme (prima) Knotted Wood
Color Box (Ocean Blue & Olive Green)
Chipboard border & sentiments (Scrapmatts)
Gold Paint (Ranger Paint Dabber)
Cheesecloth (Hand-died with mist from Lindys Stamp Gang)
Rhinestone Flourishes -Flourish with a Bling
Green & Blue flowers & Jewels - Inkido
Brass Key & Antique Dots - PaperVine (NZ)Seam Binding (Etsy)
Metallic Gold Thread



27 comments:

Sabrina Scrapbook said...

Oohhh Helen, I love this box so much! How gorgeous, loving all the details. Your precious photo looks perfect! :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow wow wowwwwwwwwwww! This is gorgeous Helen!! I loveeeeeeeeee the colors, the flowers and the bit tags!!!

Unknown said...

What a fabulous treasure box! I love the photo of the kids on top, so precious!

Keren Tamir said...

this box is stunning!! wow so gorgeous!!

Marilyn said...

Gorgeous box Helen!!! love it!xo

ALINE said...

What a beautiful box... I loved it!

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous project Helen! Such a beautiful family! Love all the chipboard pieces and fancy flowers!

Lizzy Hill said...

Great 'man box' & Yep, I think Father's Day is 1st Sunday in September...or maybe 2nd....it always confuses me...like the gold dabber idea & that tape looks fabulous.....LOVELY photo, too:):):)

Sandi Clarkson said...

Beautiful box, beautiful family! Does it get any better than that? Loving all things 9th wave but this is extra special ! Hugs!

alexandra s.m. said...

I'm in awe Helen!
What a treasure!
Bravo!!

Helen Wallace said...

A gorgeous man box Helen....love the Scrapmatts chippies and the photo treament is superb. Yes in Australia Father's day is this Sunday, 1 September :)

Monika Costa Lima said...

What a really beautiful box ! I loved all the embellishments and the photo in the center. Great job !

Lynette Jacobs said...

Gorgeous memory box...it will become a cherished item for sure.

Jasmine S said...

Looooove it. Gorgeous pic and such a wonderful keepsake.

Riikka Kovasin said...

So gorgeous box! Love the colors you've used!

Unknown said...

This is so beautiful, such a lovely family photo plus I love love the 9th wave collection. It is gorgeous isn't it?

Val-Belle said...

THis is such a beautiful box Helen... I love the mesh on it and the fabulous photo of your kids. Such a beautiful thing to keep your prized possessions in...

sandi said...

Wow, wow, wow!!!!!!!!! This is just absolutely STUNNING Helen! Wow!

Ava Gavloski said...

Helen, thanks for the deets on how to get the look, lovely work

Mitralee said...

VERY lovely tribute to your hubby! Love the mesh, somehow it looks masculine on that box!

juscrap said...

Wow!!! This box is fantástic Helen!xoxo

yyam said...

Gorgeous box Helen. Love the yummy embellishments and the photo of the kids. :)

P/s: I got my hands on 9th Wave too...as part of design team product swap.

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

Wow, Helen! What a stunning photo box. Love all your gorgeous and charming details! ~ Blessings, Tracey

Garden of Grace

Sandie said...

Helen this is a wonderful creation ... adore it!!

Denise van Deventer said...

LOL...I had to laugh when you mentioned that you were wincing while you were cutting up the 7 Dots papers...I thought I was the only one that did that too! ;-))
You did a really great job with this box and is super special and beautiful....definitely worth cutting up those papers for! ;-)

Eila Sandberg said...

Oh wow Helen! hubbs must be mighty chuffed at his box, it is absolutely gorgeous! Hugs,

Marjie Kemper said...

Lovely! What a gorgeous box to hold your treasured memories. It's absolutely fabulous.